The iPod saga continues. At present, it is effectively useless, refusing to sync in iTunes, partition, format or complete any kind of restore, despite an evening of both of us attempting to revive the poor bugger that's brought me so much joy in not having to listen to those around me whilst commuting or generally living. So, after work I popped into the Apple museum in Westfield, complete with requisite cooing over the new WankPad to see if the failed computing graduates could help me. I had to book an appointment at the 'Genius Bar' (oh the irony), and return at 4:30. On the way, there was a huge queue for Disco Gap (I think their customers call it Abercrombie and Fitch or something), which left me quite perplexed as to why people would even go in there, let alone
queue to get in there. I left and I did my usual work out at the gym, having to pay a £1 for the world's smallest towel as I'd forgotten mine.
I returned at said time, and had to wait for an available smug git to help me. What is it about people that own Apple products that makes them think they're infinitely better than anyone else. Oh yeah, how is Adobe Acrobat working out for you on your iPhone again? What about free SatNav in 70+ countries for life? I was amazed at how fully booked they were with broken Macs/iPhones/iPads/iPods. Macs are not infallible. They do break. You just own one, you didn't invent it. Anyway, said smug git (who was about 12 and clearly desperately trying to grow some microscopic fluff on his face and passing it off as facial hair) asked me for my problem, and I explained in rather acute detail that I'd done countless things (short of hurling it through windows) and it still wouldn't work. "Let's see what my Mac can do then". Git. Smug. When, of course, the Mac did less than bugger all to fix the problem, I really wanted to wipe the smug look off his face as he'd clearly thought he was some kind of celestial being for using a Mac rather than Windows. However, I'd secretly hoped it would solve the problem. iFail, of epic proportions. Victor is convinced it's the motherboard. Seeing as though he's occasionally right about some things, I'm going to trust him. New motherboard is £45 on eBay. I just hope it works. If Victor didn't have a spare 5th Gen iPod, I probably wouldn't have been able to face work today.
In other news, it is now Thursday for all you less than sharp people out there, and the Starbars remain firmly on the shelves of the Londis below work. Furthermore, I have, in just over 48 hours, lost 6lbs. So there. I've eaten so many eggs that I'm suprised I've not metamorphosed into a chicken in order to lay more to supply the increasing demand.
My second dissertation supervision went really well yesterday. I e-mailed Roger some notes beforehand, and he gave me some great constructive criticisms and lots of ideas to take away with me to shape up my 'long story', as Victor terms it. We had some good, intelligent discussion, and I find him really helpful and approachable. I was gunning for him as my supervisor, and I'm so glad he is. I also got my marks back for the last two essays I did, which were both merits. This is the most challenging course I've ever done, which is no bad thing, and I'm chuffed to be doing well.
This year's been fairly lacklustre for music thus far, with the exception of the Delphic album,
Acolyte, and the new Edge of Dawn album,
Anything That Gets You Through the Night. I've yet to hear the new School of Seven Bells single though, and there have been some other generally okay releases. I had a look at the
BBC's 'Sound of 2010' shortlist, as I do most years to check out up and coming musicians (and where I discovered, and consequently saw a cracking live show from Delphic at the Leccy Ballroom), and another band I quite liked was Hurts (Ellie Goulding, The Drums and Marina & The Diamonds can all bite me, as they're steaming piles of crap). Their new video's just come out,
Better than Love, and I'm loving it. They remind me of Tears for Fears and a little Depeche Mode in there somewhere, which of course is no bad thing. I'm really anticipating the album now! Coincidentally, like a lot of good music (think Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths etc.), both Hurts and Delphic hail from Manchester.
Check out the video: